Aug 16, 2011

Delights from My Garden--Part 1

German Johnsons are going to be here soon!

Wow! I have quite a few delightful treats in my garden this year!

First and foremost, the German Johnson tomatoes...I can't wait...and the Marion heirlooms right beside them.  I can't wait to fight for that tangy juice from the bottom of the bowl, to be able to make a sloppy sammich with just salt and pepper, or to simply eat one like an apple...dirt and all.


 There's also quite a few different varieties and colors of summer apples-red, green, and yellow.  It is such a joy to watch them grow and mature into a tasty morsel...whether eaten raw, in a cobbler, cooked to perfection in a cast iron frying pan, or pureed into homemade applesauce.  Nothing better than shaking the tree to have them fall from up above...like pennies from heaven.

Apples in the morning dew
Apples from 1 of about 8 trees in my yard

 Last year I had all of 1 peach from my tree.  I distinctly remember my mom trying to tell me that there was a ripe peach on my tree.  I didn't believe her...it had been very dry, and none of the trees had produced anything all year. But sure enough, there it was, a beautiful piece of art. I carefully plucked the single peach off the tree.  As I bit into it, I realized it was the freshest,  sweetest, juiciest, peach I have ever put in my mouth...too bad it was the only one :(.
...gonna eat alota peaches." 

"Movin to the country...
So this year I have 2 trees hanging full of 'lil peaches, and I am hoping that we are granted with enough sky juice to once again produce these flavorful, ripe, fuzzy  peaches.

 ...yes Juli, I remember the 6 hour tour...with all the peaches!


No comments:

Post a Comment