Jul 10, 2012

Precious Delights Part 1

Sorry, I have been away for awhile, taking care of the goodies that I have been blessed with in my own cupboard.  I feel like a quick update is way over due...so here it goes...

Peaches.  My last couple of posts were about the Lil Peach Tree that could. The peaches were starting to turn red, and they were starting to drip sap.  I am a little disappointed to have to announce that from there, it got extremely hot and dry, and most of them fell off the tree before ripening.  The good news is that I have 2 other peach trees, and now I am hoping the best for their future...we'll see.  To recap the peach tree that could, here is photographic story of how it appeared to me at different stages of the season...it may not have bared any eatable fruits, but it definitely showed off its beauty along the way...

3/6/12  Bare tree...
3/11/12  A few buds are popping up...
3/15/12 The blooms opened...
3/21/12  More blooms...

3/23/12  Blooms and Leaves...

4/3/12  All leaves...
4/25/12  Lots of leaves and little peaches...


5/14/12  This is about all she produced :(. Better luck next year!


Cucumbers & Squash. This year I went out on a limb and tried my hand at growing squash and cucumbers, too.  They did real well until the temperatures here were 100 degrees or higher for 10 days straight.  I have now laid them to rest until next year. But, check out what I was blessed with before they withered away...I had 1 eatable cucumber with all of it's pricklies, and 2 squash, who showed off their beautiful blossoms before leaving me.  It just seemed like I could not keep them watered enough, and next year I think I will plant them directly in the ground, instead of in large pots. You live, you learn, I guess.  On the bright side, it was a pleasure watching them grow!



Grapes.  My mom and step-dad assisted my husband and I with the trimming back of the much dreaded grapevines. They hadn't been touched in at least 10 years, and were full of poison ivy, morning glory, and honey suckle.  We spent many, many hot and sticky hours cleaning and pulling out unwanted plants by their roots.  This was not an easy job.  Ken cut them back first with a special piece on his weed eater. The vines bled abundantly.  But much to our surprise, for the first time in the 9 years I have lived here, we have recognizable grapes!  The new growth seems very happy, taking over the old chicken wire, which was originally placed by Charles' grandmother and grandfather.  We are pretty sure that we have at least two different types of grapes, one on each side, one of them being the concord, which are harvested in the summer, and the other one being scuppernongs, which aren't harvested until the Fall. So far, I have only gathered small hand fulls at a time of the concord grapes, not really enough to do anything with.  I am hoping they will do better next year since they were severely trimmed this year.  There may be some grape jelly in my future for next year...we shall see!


Well, I guess that's a wrap, until next time...stay tuned for Part II...I have plenty more to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment