Jul 10, 2012

Precious Delights Part II

Blackberries & Raspberries.  I planted blackberries and raspberries, knowing that they wouldn't bare any fruit this year.  But, I have had my fair share of wild blackberries growing in the edge of our woods to satisfy my taste.  One day, while I was out and about in my yard, I picked this wild blackberry. I wanted to save it for later, so I laid it down on the edge of my raised bed while I checked on the tomatoes. When I came back, I found this little guy, carrying his dinner home to his friends family.  I was hoping he was only taking a detour, because I sure wasn't going to share my first blackberry of the season with him.  After all, he obviously had his own dinner! Nature sure is a blessing!

My planted blackberries have done well so far!  The little leaves just never cease to amaze me.  The plant had one bloom, and boy it was precious! That one bloom tried its very best to produce a berry, but all it could do was form one little morsel of one little blackberry! It was sooo cute. I can't wait until next year to have at least a handful of berries that I grew all by myself!

The raspberries that I planted this year are doing real well also.  They didn't bear any fruit, as expected, but they did produce long stems with multiple bright green leaves, and tiny red "pricklies".  They really are a sight to see. I can't wait to see them bloom next year.  Raspberries are my absolute favorite berry, in my cereal, in my chocolate mousse, in my ice cream, or in my smoothie, what a treat!

Herbs.  I decided to plant herbs for the first time this year too. I planted rosemary, thyme, cilantro, basil, and oregano.  I planted them in a plastic box that we found in one of our old sheds.  They did real well, at least until the heat wave took over, then I had to move the box under the carport.  They simply couldn't handle the heat, even if they were watered correctly.  I picked some basil to enjoy with two of my maters...summer-licious!

No comments:

Post a Comment