Jul 10, 2012

Precious Delights Part III - Apples

Unfortunately, we are one apple tree down this year.  We aren't sure what happened, but it just fell over.  But my red apple tree on the other hand, has treated us well.  Apples are very abundant, falling on the ground, feeding me, my neighbors, the rabbits, the deer, and even the butterflies and the bees.  One of my cousins came and picked a five gallon bucket to take home and make apple butter.  She also grabbed a bag full of bruised apples to take to feed her chickens.  I am so glad that I have been able to supply apples for so many different species! At least they all didn't go to waste.  I have a couple more trees that will be ready soon, in which I am hopefully going to make some apple butter.  My front apple tree didn't do so well this year.  I think the beetles must have eaten most of the blooms, because there weren't many apples at all.

I went out one day to get just enough apples to fry for our dinner.  The rain from the night before had prepared the apples their own little home on the ground, washing up enough dirt around them to keep them from rolling.   I just couldn't resist a photo.  Just another example of the beauty of nature, taking care of its own relatives...

I brought the apples around front and sat them on the picnic table to photograph them as the first apples from my trees in 2012.  I didn't realize until after the photo was taken, that I had an uninvited guest on top of the red apple! I told him he didn't have to go home, but he couldn't go inside with me!


When I got the apples inside, I placed them all in the window seal in my utility room.  Leela decided to inspect them, since they were in her spot at the window.  I guess she allowed them to stay, because she never harmed them. After a few sniffs and biffs, she simply made room for her tiny little paws to keep her balance, and then laid down beside them.

All of these precious stories...all because a seed went underground.  I have never enjoyed the small things in life this much. It is such a beautiful scene to watch, the crops growing day by day.  And then the best part is that we get to indulge when it is time to harvest.  Talk about organic and local?? It's all right here in my yard baby...and all it cost me was my time.

1 comment:

  1. I like your post very much i had nice time while reading your post

    ReplyDelete